Sunday, September 6, 2009

Drive Me Crazy


April 26, 2009

It was a dark and stormy night . . . well, really it was just dark . . . but it had been incredibly stormy earlier. And the gloomy ambiance was still lingering in the air. It had been a packed day: piano lessons at 9 am, a bridal shower, six hours of Singers rehearsal plus a concert, my final apartment cleaning check assignment, and a boot on my mom's car as she innocently parked at my apartment to help with the final move-out process. As the clock struck midnight we had only one thing left on our list: a trip to Wal-Mart for some final tour items. Exhausted, but driven to check one more thing off my list, I began my journey along the dark, wet streets toward Springville.

I usually go the wrong way to Springville's Wal-Mart, but last night my mind was sharp and I went straight to the correct intersection that would take me to my destination. As I neared the stoplight I passed an officer busting some rowdy kids packed in a pick-up truck. "Suckers", I thought. "I'm glad I'm not them!" and I flipped my right turn signal on, only to be met with an orange and white striped "Road Closed" sign. "Blast!! Now what?" I thought. I should have taken the "wrong" turn earlier; at least then I'd be on a familiar detour! Frustrated I flipped around, careful to observe traffic laws as the flashing lights of the nearby officer heightened my cop-paranoia.

A few blocks down I turned, hoping to be able to re-connect with the right road eventually. Instead, after several blocks, I was met with another road closed sign, and an arrow pointing me back the way I came. Ugh. Another U-turn. Backtracking about a block I decided to try a different road. I coasted up to a stop sign, flipped on my blinker, saw the stopping car to my left and took my turn through the intersection. Bam! Flashing lights behind me. "Dang it! Just what I need tonight!" I quickly ended the call with my mom (waiting at Wal Mart) and rolled down my window. Squinting against his flashlight, I looked up at the officer with my best distress mixed with innocence face. He explained that I am supposed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign and asked to see my license. I rummaged through my bulging backpack for my wallet and asked, my voice brimming with legitimate exhaustion and stress, "Can I get to Wal-Mart from here?". He half chuckled and responded with "Well, yes and no. Let's get this taken care of first and I'll help you out."

I handed over my license, grateful to know he'd find my record clean, and prayed that he'd let me off with a warning. I was fully prepared to turn on the tears and explain my upcoming trip and wedding if the word "ticket" was uttered. Minutes later he came back, let me off with a warning and gave me complex directions, through residential streets, to Wally's. Filled with gratitude I went on my way. Following what I thought were his directions, I weaved my way through some neighborhood streets. All of a sudden, and with no signs or warnings I found myself approaching a construction pit filled with strange pipes and construction paraphenalia. I slammed on my brakes and skidded to a halt on the loose gravel, literally inches away from a disastrous accident. With my heart pounding in my throat, I threw my car in reverse and tried another route. Finally I found myself on the right road!!! Hallelujah. Just one more turn and a roundabout and I'd be home free!! In my excitement, I accelerated to around 43 mph. Then, as if in a recurring nightmare, I saw the familiar blue and red flashing lights in my mirror. No!! No no no, I said as I pulled over. Two times in ten minutes?!?! What next? Hoping it wasn't the same officer I rolled my window down and was met with a much younger officer. He gave me his name and the license and registration schpele. I handed the paperwork over and asked him if I was going too fast.

"Yes you were. Do you know what the speed limit is on this road?"
"I actually don't," I replied, fighting back overwhelmed tears. "I've been lost in all this construction and I'm just trying to find my way to Wal-Mart . . . . and actually, you're probably going to laugh at me . . . but I got pulled over about ten minutes for not stopping all the way at a stop sign and the officer told me how to find my way here. I'm just trying to meet my mom at Wal Mart." I spilled my story, hoping for mercy from this young, fresh deputy. He smiled and asked if I knew the officer's name who pulled me over. We discovered that it was his chief deputy/superior officer guy.
"Well, you just tell your mom that Springville police are harrassing you. Go straight down through that roundabout and drive safely." He handed back my documents and let me off. Grateful and emotionally maxed-out, I drove slowly the rest of the way to Wal-Mart, composed myself and met my mom for an evening in the "trial and travel" aisle.

What a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment