Thursday, May 20, 2010

treasure

Today I went looking for a file cabinet from DI. I managed to find a couple beat up two-drawer metal wonders and picked out a $10 beauty with drawers that opened and closed easily. I hoisted it into my cart and it half-balanced, half-wedged itself still while I took it to the register (along with two new used games for our collection).

When I got to my car I realized that getting it into the backseat would be a bit tricky. It wasn't too heavy for me, but it was kind of unwieldy and awkward. I managed to lift it off the cart but couldn't get it free as the cart just rolled along with it. Finally, by gently kicking the cart away - so it wouldn't hit the van next to me - I freed it from the cart's grasp.

Unfortunately, I had chosen the wrong side of the backseat. The side which had a reclined passenger seat, evidence of McKay's nap on our way to Sunday dinner. So, I heaved the cabinet back on the cart, to head to the other side. This time the wedge-balance trick didn't take and as we rounded the back of the car my already beat up cabinet took a nose dive for the pavement. Crash. Muttering altered profanities under my breath I walked over to assess the damage.

The drawers had little bulges on both sides making it impossible to utilize them. Great! Unwilling to accept defeat I shoved it into the back seat and drove home, the abused metal rattling in the back. When I got home I hauled it out of the car and upstairs to the office. Then I grabbed the hammer, pounded out my frustration, and returned it to its original shape! Now the drawers work great, the handles are where they are supposed to be, and you wouldn't even know if I put an extra scratch or two on it in that parking lot. One man's trash . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment