Wednesday, September 8, 2010

wild woman

I survived my 3.5 day camping excursion with flying colors! We had a really great time . . . but I don't know if I could have done another night on that small air mattress.

Our adventure started on Wednesday night when we met up at McKay's parents house to pack all our stuff. You should know that McKay's mom, Monta, is a legit backpacker. As in all your equipment (tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, cooking gear, water purifier, chair, etc.) is packed on your back as you hike from campsite to campsite for days and days. She even brings her own sprouting containers so she can sprout greens for her meals along the way. Intense! So this trip was lux living for her. We drove to the Uintas on Friday evening and walked a mile in to our campsite. My pack was about 20 pounds - not too bad. And I looked super hard core! The hike wasn't bad - but I was getting tired by the end of the mile!



Our campsite was gorgeous! We stayed at a lake surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery. The first couple nights were comfortable and not too cold. McKay took the cousins rock climbing all day both days, which was a blast. I sat and read and dipped my feet in the cold lake and snapped pics while the rest of the crew scaled the rock faces.


Preparing the ropes
Jumping off the rocks into the lake

Monta found the most incredible giant marshmallows - like three times the normal size - which we used to make enormous and gooey s'mores.


We had freeze-dried dinners (lightweight to pack, and actually not bad tasting!). I even dug holes behind trees when I needed to do my business. It was the real deal!

The second day we were there a big group of hikers came passing through and stopped at the lake for a while. As I looked closer at our new friends, I realized that I recognized everyone! Three families from my hometown/high school/children's choir were on a trip together! So I caught up a bit with the Bradley's, Clare's and Darling's. What are the odds, right? Seeing people I haven't seen in 5+ years in all my wilderness glory (crazy hair/make-up) was pretty fun! And later that day, Rob (McKay's dad) taught me how to skip rocks - and I did it!! I've never been able to, and it seems like all boys are born skipping rocks. Well, that day has come for me. I was a huge success!!

The last night camping was freezing cold! McKay left his meal tin soaking . . . and the next morning . . .


The freezing wind wouldn't die down so we packed as fast as we could and headed out. We stopped for lunch at Dick's - the perfect small-town burger joint in Kamas and a Uintas tradition - and pounded burgers, fries and shakes.


It was a weekend to be remembered! And, our shower and bed has never looked as good as it did on Monday afternoon when we returned home, tired, sunburned and dirty. Good memories.

1 comment:

  1. YOU are hard core!! Who goes backpacking in their third trimester??? Oh, wait, that's right, YOU DO! So glad you had a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete