Sunday, September 6, 2009

Amazing Summer

August 30, 2009

Part of me feels guilty for not faithfully blogging all the wonderful events of the past four months. But when I realize that I was too busy living life to write about it, I don't feel so bad! Tomorrow marks the beginning of the end, in a sense. The end of my days at BYU. With graduation in the bag for April I'll be starting my last year of college, guns blazing. But, before beginning that chapter of life, here are the highlights of an amazing summer:

BYU Singers Tour to the UK- the 3 1/2 weeks spent in Ireland, England and Wales were full of amazing experiences. It was exciting to visit Europe for the first time in my life; to see cities and buildings centuries old, to walk cobblestone streets and pause for a photo op in a red phone booth. We sang in beautiful venues and met all kinds of people. But . . . being away from McKay was hard and I couldn't wait to get back. Once home I had 15 days to finish up the wedding plans. I had big plans to do all sorts of extra, productive things done. In the end, the bare minimum got done - and I was happy with that.

I Love to See the Temple- On June 1 I went through the temple for my own endowment. My whole family was there, including Randy, which was a great experience. I imagine how rewarding it was for my parents to be there with all of their children (I'm sure Brian made it!). Five days later was my wedding day. June 6 was the most gorgeous day I could have asked for! The sky was blue with white puffy clouds, everything was in bloom and the sun was shining brightly. The rain from the day before (and after) let up for one perfect day. I awoke around 4:30am, feeling oddly normal, and yet full of nerves at the same time! My friends came over around 5 am to help with my hair and make-up. When everything was in place, we made the hour-long drive to Salt Lake City. The experience at the temple was perfect! Women everywhere helped with my flowers, dress, etc. It was a beautiful morning. McKay and I left the temple husband and wife (and a bit more calm than when we entered!). Cliche as it may sound everything went like clockwork that day. It couldn't have gone more perfectly. We took pictures on the perfectly manicured temple grounds, went to our luncheon (on time!), and finished the day with our reception in Spanish Fork. We dressed our cultural hall up with Christmas lights and tulle fabric draped across the ceiling. A live jazz band provided world-class music and atmosphere. A flaming crepe buffet provided a show and delicious refreshments. After a stream of ward members who watched me grow up, McKay and I had our first dance, threw the flowers, and took off for the Grand America Hotel. It couldn't have gotten any better.

Bahama Mama- The next week was spent honeymooning in the Bahamas. We stayed at a resort on the ocean and spent our days on the beach, in the pool, napping, eating and just being lazy. It was a needed break from the previous months of school, touring and wedding planning. We had some funny experiences with a crazy woman on the beach who braided my hair - and then drove us who knows where through a torrential rain storm to an ATM so we could pay her! We also met up with our new friend, Jasper, who hooked us up with some DVD's for our room. He drove up in a white Jetta, seat reclined and bling rings on his fingers. We did business in his car as we flipped through CD wallets full of burned DVD's labeled with misspelled names in scrawled sharpie. We got 6 DVD's for the price of 4 - only 2 ended up being worth our time - but it was a classic experience! We ate a red snapper at the weekly "fish fry" who still had his teeth and eyes. We found a huge conch shell as we walked along the beach one night. We snorkeled at Paradise Cove and rented wave runners for an afternoon. And, because I had never done it, we skinny dipped around 1 am one night! All for the story :)

Extended Honeymoon- the rest of the summer ended up being like a continued Honeymoon. McKay worked during the day and I taught piano and put our new home together. Our evenings were spent doing whatever we wanted! We watched 2 seasons of 24. We played tennis. We frequented the Provo library and watched some Best Pictures. We ate tons of sushi. We met new couples in our ward and had them over for dinner around our tiny fold-up table. We went through a Gin Rummy phase and played cards in bed, using a Dr. Seuss book as a table. We stayed up late - we went to bed early. We took naps for hours and hours. We ate hundreds of popsicles and drank more diet cokes. We took a weekend trip to Colorado to rally for health care at a town hall meeting with the president. We got Chinese take-out and watched Ferris Beuller (my first time!). McKay celebrated my birthday all month long! We milked the summer for all it was worth, and did a pretty good job, I think.

Well, we're up to date! Maybe I'll be better about staying current now. It's been a great summer. Here's to a great semester!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog GOH! Congrats on your wonderful wedding & life. You are such a doll. Love you!

    ReplyDelete