Monday, June 7, 2010

one year!

This past weekend McKay and I celebrated our first anniversary! It's funny how quickly time has passed and how it didn't seem like it was time to celebrate the momentous first anniversary yet. We celebrated by doing lots of low-key, fun things over the weekend.

We started by getting massages on Friday evening (courtesy of the in-laws graduation present, thanks guys!). We went to Sego Lily spa and got wonderful treatment. I just wanted to fall asleep and breath those delightful aromas all evening! After our massage we treated ourselves to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

On Saturday we played various games: starting with a game I like to call "WWII Bomber". I made it up. It started out as an innocent game of paper-airplane flying and ended with us turning all four burners on our gas stove on high and flying the planes into the flames! They crashed and burned. It was fun.

Next we made up a 2-player version of Pictionary to hone our skills for the next time we go head-to-head with someone. We spent most of the day doing that. When we were all pictured-out we got some dinner, bought a frisbee at wal-mart and played outside until dark.

Sunday was our actual anniversary. I celebrated by playing the organ at church for the first time! The usual organist was out of town and asked if I was up to the task. So I picked the easiest hymns I could find and played - pedals and all! It was pretty cool. We got the news of our newest nephew during church (yes I was texting from behind the piano in primary) and headed to the hospital after church. You can read all about that adventure here.

After returning home, we enjoyed long naps, dinner, and some more games. Pictionary, Rummikub and probably our greatest achievement of the weekend: Spisbee.

Spisbee is an adventurous obstacle course type game that is played with frisbees, spoons, and various household objects. Here's how it goes (feel free to skip to the end if you can't handle it)
I Start by throwing the frisbee through the Poang footrest (in the living room).
McKay retrieves the frisbee with a spoon and hands it back to me without using his hands.
I toss the frisbee from my spoon to McKay who has to catch it with one hand.
He then has to throw the frisbee at an empty coke can which is balanced on a tower of stools (in the hallway).
Then I pick it up with a spoon and have to throw it up over the bannister to the upstairs landing (with the spoon).
Both of us run upstairs (oh yes, this whole thing is being timed) and have to make two consecutive passes of the frisbee from spoon to spoon.
Then I run downstairs, McKay drops the frisbee from his spoon and I have to catch it one floor below (this was a tricky part!!).
Then I throw it back to him, he rolls it down the bannister to me. Then I start it rolling it down the rest of the bannister - and here's the hardest part - and run down to the bottom to catch it before it hits the ground. Whew!
Then I toss the frisbee through the balanced stools for McKay to catch on his spoon.
The last step comes full circle as McKay throws it from his spoon in the hallway back through the Poang foot rest in the living room.
20 minutes later we were pretty proud of ourselves and a legendary Thomas family game had been born.

It was a great weekend!


3 comments:

  1. remember Powerwand? you are the BEST at making up games steph! congrats again on one year! you two are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO creative! I love reading about the games you make up. I was also remembering that we were at your wedding a year ago. Time goes by so quickly. You and McKay are a great couple!

    ReplyDelete