Tuesday, September 28, 2010

fall fun

So all my posts seem to be about soup lately . . . and I promise this is the last mention I'll make of it for a while (hopefully!).

This past Friday we had Fallidays Soup Night with our family in the area. It was a total blast with delicious soups and great company. The kiddos stayed for one of our famous sleepovers.

This particular sleepover was great parent prep! With school in full swing the kids are pretty wiped out by Friday night. This manifest itself differently with each kid. The older ones got ultra hyper right around bed time (with some help from McKay - a kid at heart) and the younger ones started having meltdowns, with tears. Sweet Abbie couldn't handle the noise from the older, sugar blasted kids and went upstairs to our room to sleep. Spencer, the youngest somehow made it to the sleepover without pajamas and . . . his pull-up. Fortunately for me, I had just purchased the water-proof mattress protector for our crib, so I resourcefully covered the couch with it and put him in the smallest pair of my shorts I could find. With the drawstring cinched to the max, and my alarm set for a middle of the night potty-run, we finally got everyone to sleep.

When the midnight potty run came, I discovered that Spencer doesn't really wake up in the middle of the night very easily. Even when I helped him get to his feet he plopped back to the couch, never opening his eyes. Tired myself, and not super fit for carrying a five-year old to the pot, I just threw in the towel. I figured he'd be fine.

At 5:30 am there he was, with older cousin in tow, crying by my bed. He wanted daddy. And he was all wet. By some miracle he had rolled off the couch to the floor, taking the mattress protector with him before he watered himself. With no damage to the couch OR the floor I happily tossed his clothes and blanket in the washer, and tucked him back in bed.

Everything was peaceful for the rest of the night. We enjoyed Kung Fu Panda, german pancakes and scrambled eggs before trucking the kiddies back home for Spencer's birthday party.

All in all it was a great weekend, with some great stories to go along with it!

1 comment:

  1. Guest of Honor! I can't believe you are havin' a babe! Congrats! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete