Sunday, October 10, 2010

a smoothie story

Lately I feel like the only things going on around here are baby-related! Hence, the baby blog has gotten more attention than this one. So I decided that while McKay is cuddled up for his Sunday nap I'll toss a post up here from his new gift to himself/us... an iPad. We're having fun with the new gadget, although we're becoming bigger apple-geeks by the day. A wall charger in all major rooms, wi-fi tethering from our phones to our MacBook and iPad... I married a fan-boy.

A few days ago McKay had a little dose of "the junk". Sore throat, achy. So, being a good wife I decided to pick up juice and smoothies on my way home from my afternoon doctor's appointment. There's a great smoothie place called Roxberry Juice in Highland, 15 minutes or so east of our house. They have a tasty peanut butter smoothie that I was hankering for, and a delightful citrusy number that won McKay over. I had seen another one just a few days before- in American Fork, I thought. Because my appointment was there I figured I'd easily find it on my way home.

Once orange juice was retrieved from Macey's I headed down State Street looking for Roxberry signs. When I realized that it was not where I thought I had left it, I pulled up my maps and found that it was just a couple miles away. Perfect. I headed down the purple path, following the blue blinking dot. I thought the route seemed oddly residential, but trusting in Google, I followed obediently anyway. After about 10 minutes I arrived at the red dot, labeled Roxberry Juice... Only it was the home of an American Fork resident. Not delicious smoothies.

Slightly perturbed, I backtracked through houses and quiet streets, past the cemetery and back to state street. A nice side-effect to this detour was the beautiful mountain scenery I was able to see. The leaves were gorgeous, the clouds were low and wispy from the day's rainfall, and the first dustings of snow lay on the mountain peaks.

Back on my smoothie mission, I called McKay to apprise him of my delay. No worries, he said. Just pick up some burgers too and all would be well. I headed to in-n-out, just down the road, and while waiting in line searched my maps for any smoothie solution. Conveniently, I found that Emerald City Smoothie was right across the street! With burgers in the bag I navigated through the thickening traffic to the complex across the street, parked at the smoothie joint and walked up... to the locked doors. The bare countertops and "enter to win a gold's gym membership" display were the only remains of a once open business.

Okay. Next option. There was a Paradise Bakery in the same complex. Figuring it would be just like Kneaders (with smoothies) I popped inside, only to find cappuccinos and frappes on their drink menu. And nothing else.

The next closest smoothie place on my map was just one exit away- and on the way home! It was no peanut butter goodness, but it would have to do. I jumped back in the car and sped there. Minutes later I finally had my two smoothies in hand, burgers getting cold, and a couple hundred ounces of vitamin-C packed orange juice. Mission accomplished!

On my way out of the parking lot, I saw it.

Roxberry Juice. Just a few doors down.

At least now I know where it is.

1 comment:

  1. What a pregnancy craving story! Sorry, even I make it pregnancy related. Like you said, at least you know where it is now!

    ReplyDelete