Saturday, April 24, 2010

pomp and circumstance

Well I did it! The countdown is officially over. I am a college graduate.

Thursday, the day of Commencement, started out ugly. I woke up to find snow blowing past my window. Not appropriate, I thought. Not on my graduation day! I spent the morning getting my gown all ironed out and my clothes packed for my busy day. First on my agenda was a doctor's appointment. As you may now be aware, we are expecting a baby in November! We heard the heartbeat Thursday morning (which can be heard here). It was the perfect way to start a momentous weekend. When we left the doctor's office it was sunny and warm. The Class of 2010's prayers had been heard!

I raced off to get my haircut, met up with my mom for a graduation shopping trip at the mall. We found the perfect outfit, accessories and shoes and chowed down a sandwich before I made it miraculously to the end of the line as the graduates walked into the Marriott Center. I enjoyed the short and sweet commencement featuring D. Todd Christofferson. I absolutely loved seeing all the professors and deans gathered in their robes and hoods and hats and tassels. It felt like the opening feast at Hogwarts or something. It was fun to be part of something steeped in tradition and honor. My sister-in-law, Rachel, also graduated so we enjoyed double family celebrations. Dinner with the Paynes on Thursday, then lunch with the Thomases on Friday.

Convocation was held Friday morning and the weather had turned back to rainy and gray. But nobody seemed to mind as diplomas were handed out and excellent speeches were made. I felt lucky to be graduating from the college of fine arts and communications. We had some excellent musical numbers and entertaining speakers. Everyone there spent years learning how to perform - so the program was very well executed!

Following the walk across the stage, a few pictures and hugs, and a big Indian food feast, the weekend of graduation celebration came to a close, and I was officially done!

Here are a couple fun video clips - one of Rachel and me ringing the Victory Bell, and one of Rachel performing a dramatic reading about the Victory Bell!


It's been a great ride - thanks to all who have played a role along the way. You are many!

Now, on to preparing for parenthood. Does my degree help me with that?

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you. I will miss our Tuesday night pow wows as well. Good luck with the baby!

    ReplyDelete